Reading..and a Review

When I sit and really think about it, I have the strangest reading habits.

Growing up, I would read a lot. I had my favourite series' like Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, The Saddle Club, Goosebumps, etc.. and really loved immersing myself in the pages of each new book. That was until I went to university. While at university, since I spent the majority of my time reading for school, I just didn't have anything left in me to read for pleasure. And sadly, in a way, I actually resented reading by the time I graduated. My reading habits got so bad, that I chose to purchase a subscription to Cosmopolitan when I graduated so I was at least reading something!

Fast forward about a year and a half... my relationship of 3 years ended suddenly, and very badly. I was completely heart broken, living in a big house all on my own, in a town where I had no friends. One day something clicked in me and I decided that I had enough and needed to do something rather than sitting along feeling sorry for myself each and every day. So I made a trip to Chapters. There's something special about that store that makes me just want to spend hours on end walking around looking at all the beautiful books. I picked up James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces" on that first trip. I thought it would be fitting to read about his struggles (let them be fiction or non-fiction, that didn't matter to me) while I was trying to raise myself up after my recent struggles. I literally plowed through that book in a couple of days and at the completion of that book, my love of reading was resurrected.

That winter I spent all of my spare time immersed in so many different wonderful books. I just couldn't get enough! That was until my bank account told me that I had to stop spending so much money on these things. It just so happened that around the same time I met C and spent all my spare moments with him, so I didn't miss reading all that much. We have now been together for about a year and a half and this past spring, thanks to being able to win FREE money for amazon via Swagbucks, I have begun purchasing books again (for FREE) and haven't been happier. I've been able to balance things out and get my reading fill in at night before bed and on weekends when C is working and it's great! :) My dream is to one day be able to have my own little library in my basement with all my favourite literary works. One day...

So on to my review for the day! :)

Yesterday I finally finished reading The Time Traveller's Wife by AudreyNiffenegger. A good friend of mine had been recommending it for a while, then after seeing the trailers for the movie in the summer, I decided I had to read it.
I was hooked from the moment I first opened this book. I loved Audrey's writing style, writing from each of the main character's point of view. It was such an interesting and creative writing concept and story I give it 5 starts for sure. I laughed, I cried, I felt hope and dread for the characters. I felt like I knew the characters personally and found myself so personally invested in their outcome as I flipped from page to page. I know the movie probably won't measure up a most movies don't, but I certainly can't wait until it is released on dvd. I think it's going to be a must buy.

Comments

2 Responses to “Reading..and a Review”

Rachel said...
October 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I'm afraid to read Time Travelers Wife because I'm afraid it will make me cry, a lot.

Recent books I have teared up over: Henry's Sisters (Cathy Lamb) and Firefly Lane (can't remember the author). I recommend both though.

Anonymous said...
October 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I know exactly what you mean about Chapters..I could seriously spend an entire day there just skimming through books and smelling them! (Okay I'm weird, I love the smell of a new book...) I always look up books to get ahead of time, but end up picking up some impromptu reads while I'm there..right now I'm starting "The Ten Year Nap" by Meg Wolitzer..I read TTW about a year ago and I liked it, but found some parts hard to "get into" if that makes sense? Maybe I'll check out the other book you recommend :)