The Amazing World of Online Communities

Take a moment and think back about 15 years. Now with yourself in this place, how do you see the Internet? Are you on your computers for hours a day? Are you sharing some of your deepest secrets with people you only know through a virtual world?

When you really take the time to think about it, it's crazy to see how far the online world has come in only the past 10-15 years. I have been Internet-savvy for as long as I can remember. I remember creating my first 'homepage' when I was only 12 years old and in grade 7. It was all about horses, of course. Over the years, I had flipped back and forth through various bulletin boards and such, and now that I am in my mid-twenties, I can honestly say that I am now a proud member of two very wonderful online communities.

I joined the Saucy Piaffe online community when it first began at the beginning of 2008. The site was started by an amazing woman named Liz. Liz had already begun her own stall plaque business for the horse world and was already fairly well known by horse people in the GTA. In attempt to break free from another very popular horse-folk online community, Liz decided to start her own. The difference with the Saucy Piaffe community though, would be that it would be based on the users common love of the horse, and knack at really being able to support one another in all of their endeavors with minimal negativity.

In about a year and a half, there are over 500 horse-folk who have joined this community and in my opinion, has become one of the most positive places for me to 'hang out' on the Internet. I have met some absolutely incredible people through that message board including my current riding buddy! We live in the same town, but would have never met if it weren't for Liz creating the Saucy Piaffe BB! Almost each and every day we hear stories about Saucies' getting together and meeting. We hear about everyone's ups and downs when it comes to their horses, and even their families and it has really become a great community - or dare I say, a family.

Putting horses aside, I have also recently found myself to be a member of the Smart Canucks online community. I really can't express enough how amazing it is to be a part of these communities where most people really are strangers but are so quickly able to welcome new members and make them feel like part of a family. This website is an amazing place to trade coupons, talk about different products and store experiences, learn about freebies available, and even just talk about anything and everything!

I first joined this site for the freebie section and never really ventured anywhere else on the monstrous bulletin board. Several months ago however, I discovered the area where people talk about everything. I still lurk more than I post, but I am still completely wowed every single day when I see how amazing this online community is. Everyone is so supportive of one another -- and this is where I must state again: and they are all basically strangers!!! It is so incredible to see how so many different strangers can come from so many different places and quickly become friends through the Internet. Smart Canucks is most definitely something special and I can only hope that I remain part of this online community for many years to come.

Comments

2 Responses to “The Amazing World of Online Communities”

Valerie said...
August 14, 2009 at 2:34 AM

I've never heard of smartcanucks.ca Sounds like a worthwhile site- thanks for sharing :)

Laura&Chris said...
August 14, 2009 at 8:11 AM

I definitely recommend it! You won't be disappointed :)