Burn Burn - My Review

So my favourite band released their 7th studio album on July 21. I thought about reviewing right away, but decided that I really needed to give the album some time so that I could give it my true and honest opinion. I have literally been listening to this album over and over in my car since the 21st and decided that I really do love OLP's latest work. Many people are giving this release poor reviews, and I even admit that I was a bit skeptical at first. But after listening over and over, and really immersing myself in the music, I came to realize the poor reviews are only coming from individuals who really are not true OLP fans. They are not coming from people who have been listening to the band from their start in 1994.
One of the things that I have always loved about OLP is that every single one of their albums is unique in it's own way. You can hear a single and immediately place it to it's respective album. That is one of the main reasons why I think this band is so great. If you listen to their work right from the beginning, you can hear the growth between the members of the band over the years. "Burn Burn" is most definitely not like the album "Clumsy", but in my opinion, it's a different "Clumsy" for the band. "Burn Burn" is a more grown up and mature album written, performed and produced by men who have wives and husbands (as opposed to the 20-somethings who came out with "Clumsy").
Raine's voice and the tone of their songs just overall has a more mature and worldly feel. The sound of someone who is knowledgeable and has seen a lot. Aside from the one song Monkey Brain, the majority of the songs do not sound like what some would dub 'normal' OLP songs, but I think that's the true beauty of this album. It takes a lot of talent to write and release such a variety of music. Not sure where I'm going here? Look at the likes of Nickelback.. I couldn't even tell you how many albums/singles that band has released. And the main reason for that is that every single one of their albums and singles sound similar. They don't experiment or go off course to see what else they can do. They have their one sound, and that's it. In my opinion, that is not true talent.
Overall, I most definitely give "Burn Burn" a 10/10. It's different, creative, moving, and deep. I can listen to it over and over without getting sick of the songs. And in my books, you can only do that with the best.
Well done boys!

Comments

2 Responses to “Burn Burn - My Review”

Helen said...
August 14, 2009 at 7:42 AM

I LOVE their music! I found some hidden away on my ipod a few months ago while I was staying in the middle of nowhere and I ended up singing along as loud as I could... I think the birds thought I was crazy... I'll definitely look into getting this album soon!

Laura&Chris said...
August 14, 2009 at 8:12 AM

When you pick up the album all I can say is keep an open mind. Just let the music flow and I think you'll love it like I do! :)